To continue, the building was cut into five sections and removed piecemeal to the new location. The contractor, F. W. Pratt, mover, and Barclay Cooper, Builder, did an artistic piece of patchwork as it was almost impossible to detect the joints. A large basement was gained. The task seemed impossible owing to the grading, car tracks and trunk line wires encountered. But the move was made without serious difficulty. As usual costs of moving and rebuilding exceeded estimates. A new mortgage was floated for $2,000.
Many were interested in the moving operation of the church. Barbara Longyear was a teenager then and active member and tells of riding some of the sections as they progressed up Lowry Hill. Charles Drew, Jr. tells of interesting observations of moving the church. Charles Drew was a choirboy, acolyte, vestryman and both Jr. and Sr. Warden. During the four months it took to move and rebuild the church, St. Mark’s was most cooperative. They invited Saint Paul’s to worship with them while the church was undergoing removal and repairs. This invitation was accepted and reported in the Minneapolis Journal.
In 1902, the first services were held in the moved church. Dr. Webb preached in the morning, Bishop Samuel Cook Edsall preached in the evening. The Minneapolis Tribune covered the event. Dr. Webb’s health forced his resignation in late 1902. For several months, the parish was serviced by C. E. Haupt.
After the church was moved to its new location, the exterior changed very little but the interior was remodeled and frescoed. Church furniture and things were brought up the hill but items were needed. Items donated by members and friends are listed in the Book of gifts and memorials located in the Memorials Case in the Narthex. The contributions of F. R. Clement and Mrs. Clement were outstanding. They paid for decorating the chancel and donated beautiful stained glass windows, which gave pleasure over the next 55 years. These included individual windows of patterned Tiffany and leaded glass and the large Rose window in the rear of the present church.